Home > Client Services > Agency Investigations & Proceedings
Agency Investigations & Proceedings
Many state and federal agencies play a vital role in enforcing compliance with various labor and employment laws. These include government agencies dealing with the following aspects of labor and employment law:
Equal Employment Opportunity
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which investigates, and may litigate, EEOC complaints, or charges, alleging employment discrimination.
- State counterparts to the EEOC, which, like the EEOC, investigate alleged violations of equal employment opportunity laws. Employers in Metro St. Louis are most likely to deal with the Missouri Commission on Human Rights and the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
- The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), which administers affirmative action and equal employment opportunity obligations of federal contractors and subcontractors.
Unions, Collective Bargaining, and Related Employer and Employee Rights
- The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), which conducts union representation elections and investigates and prosecutes allegations of unfair labor practices.
Wage and Hour Regulation
- The Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor, which administers federal laws on a wide range of subjects, including minimum wage, overtime pay, payroll recordkeeping, child labor, family and medical leave, migrant workers, lie detector tests (polygraphs), worker protections in certain temporary worker programs, and prevailing wage requirements for government service and construction contracts.
Workplace Safety Regulation
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which enforces occupational safety rules and regulations.
These agencies have broad investigative powers, which many usually exercise only in response to complaints. Some agencies also have authority to hear and determine allegations of unlawful employer conduct. It is always important to respond appropriately to agency investigations. At times, legal problems can be nipped in the bud at this stage, before turning into more troublesome and costly lawsuits.
How We Can Help
The attorneys of Harris Dowell Fisher & Young, L.C., regularly assist clients in responding to investigations conducted by all of the above agencies. We also represent clients in agency hearings and provide assistance and advice concerning compliance with laws administered by the EEOC, OFCCP, NLRB, OSHA, and other labor and employment law agencies.
We are well acquainted with the applicable law and agency procedures, and in many cases have established working relationships with individual agency personnel.
Contact us to discuss how we may best assist you in this regard.
- Employment Discrimination (EEOC, OFCCP)
- Labor Relations (NLRB)
- Occupational Safety & Health Law (OSHA)
- Wage & Hour (Department of Labor, Wage & Hour Division)